The Climate Whirl art programme at the University of Helsinki offers artists an opportunity to work at Hyytiälä Forestry Field Station in dialogue with researchers and utilising the research infrastructure and data of the station. The residency will be realized in 2020.
- The artist(s)-in-residence will conduct their own research at the station from four to six weeks during 2020 depending on the needs of their project.
- The most important thing to the jury is the interest the proposal arouses and its topicality. They appreciate a research-oriented approach and long-term commitment.
- It is hoped that the artist-in-residence will leave something permanent at the station after the residency. It may be a work of art in the area surrounding the station, an experience shared with the audience that could possibly be recorded, or an inclusive workshop after the residency period.
- A fee of €3,000 will be paid to the selected artist or group of artists.
- Max. €3,000 will be contributed towards the production costs of the new work of art.
- The residency covers the accommodation costs.
- Reasonable travel costs to the station from Finland or Europe will be covered to a maximum amount of €500. Applicants are encouraged to travel to Hyytiälä by land or water!
- The artist-in-residence or group of artists may stay at the station for a maximum of six weeks during 2020. In the case of a group, the residency must be agreed according to the accommodation capacity of the station.
Send your proposal in Finnish or English by 18 November 2019 to: email@example.com
The proposal must include:
- A description of the project topic and goals (max. 1 A4 page)
- CV or portfolio of the artist or group of artists (max. 3 A4 pages + internet links)
- Tentative plan for the timetable
- Tentative budget of the artwork
The maximum size of appendices is 3MB each, in PDF format.