The Islands Arts Writing ResidencyDEADLINE:
Art Metropole and Fogo Island Arts are seeking applications for The Islands, a two-part residency that aims to encourage arts writing and criticism in contemporary art. The Islands will take place on Fogo Island and at Artscape Gibraltar Point on Toronto Island, Canada, from August 31 to October 12, 2020.
Open to Canadian and international applicants, The Islands invites emerging and established arts writers and artists with a writing practice to propose a project to be executed across two unique locations.
To be eligible for consideration, candidates must:
- Have published a minimum of two arts writing texts or critical essays on contemporary art
- Hold a valid driver’s license, and be responsible for acquiring the necessary visa if coming from a foreign country
The successful candidate will spend a month on Fogo Island as part of Fogo Island Arts’ residency program, followed by two weeks on Toronto Island at Artscape Gibraltar Point. The project will culminate in a small publication funded, published and distributed by Art Metropole.
The successful candidate will be provided with private accommodation and studio space on both Fogo and Toronto islands, as well as a weekly stipend to offset the costs of materials and day-to-day living expenses. Travel expenses are also covered.
Applications are online only and should include the following:
- Project proposal (approx. 600 words) in PDF format
- Short biography and artist statement (approx. 200 words) in PDF format
- Detailed Curriculum Vitae (3 pages maximum) in PDF format
- If applicable, 5 images (maximum) in JPEG format, with relevant caption information
- 1 letter of recommendation from a professional in your field, in PDF format
- 3 samples of your published work (approx. 750 words)
To apply, please send all requested materials to email@example.com